When Do Junior Doctor Rotations Occur? Junior doctor rotations take place several times throughout the year.
The Purpose of Junior Doctor Rotations: Following the completion of their undergraduate degrees, junior doctors are obligated to participate in a foundation year program. This program serves multiple purposes: expanding their skill set, helping them define long-term career objectives, and enhancing their earning potential. Additionally, it exposes them to a variety of medical specialties and healthcare settings, facilitating the transition to independent practice.
Requirements for Completing a Junior Doctor Rotation: To partake in junior doctor rotations, candidates must meet certain prerequisites:
Possession of an MBBS degree or its equivalent.
- Demonstration of compliance with the Foundation Programme Eligibility Criteria.
- Full registration with the General Medical Council (GMC) and holding a License to Practice.
- Displaying the necessary language and communication skills required for the position.
- Application Process for FY1 and FY2
- The recruitment for foundation years, specifically FY1 and FY2, is managed by the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO).
Foundation Year 1 (FY1): FY1 marks the initial year of a two-year program designed for medical school graduates. It offers these doctors the opportunity to apply the essential skills and knowledge acquired during their undergraduate education, preparing them for full registration as practising doctors in the UK. To qualify for FY1, individuals must possess a GMC provisional registration with a licence to practice.
Throughout the FY1 year, NHS Trusts provide the following:
- Foundation-level practical procedures training.
- Daily teaching sessions.
- Advanced life support training.
- Opportunities for shadowing experienced professionals.
At the conclusion of FY1, each doctor undergoes an annual review of competent progression (ARCP).
It is important to note that all FY1s have the opportunity to rotate through at least three different jobs in various medical specialties, enriching their training experience.
If you wish to discuss your next Healthcare job with PE Global Healthcare please contact our UK & Northern Ireland team
: +44 (0)203 868 9000